Thursday, February 5, 2009

NIce to have two Legs back

For the last year I've slowly been neglecting my right leg, mainly because my knee hated me.  It's nice to ride my bike with zero pain.  As part of my first full month of training I performed the self torture test known as the "Field Test" warm up, ride 3 miles as hard as you can sustain, rest 10 minutes and repeat.  Your average normalized power (no zeros) multiplied by .90 is supposed to be your Full Threshold Power or purty darn near your Lactate Threshold. I think it's pretty accurate.  I didn't do a test last year, mainly because I just didn't feel like it, but I did do one in late Feb of 07' That was about two months before I crashed, and my knee started to hate me.  So I was off to the Cherry Creek Park testing Grounds (Home of the weekend time-trail warrior with horrible, I mean horrible bike positions)
Anyhoo, my end of January test surprised me.  I was about 15 watts higher in January than I was in February.
  
That's a lot considering I have done nothing to enhance this zone in my training. I like to think I'm squeezing out a few more watts because I have a stronger right leg. The effort still hurt the same an TT people are weird.  Another big plus is I guessed where I was at the start of January and set my training zones up accordingly. The test confirmed I guessed right so I didn't waste a month in a no-mans land zone.

No comments: