Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm not leaving my wingman!

As the hours on my bike ramp, one starts to feel pretty good.  You start thinking about riding harder doing intervals and the like.  But, you got to remember the real racing doesn't start until May, and August is a blood bath with a race every weekend.  This year I have a back-log of base that is the envy of the cycling community. (I can't back that up)


I've got massive amounts of HR, and Power time smack in the middle of my Endurance zone, with a smathering of Tempo just to keep me honest.  One would be tempted to reach for greater fitness by training the Sweet Spot, but I'm not leaving my wingman, which is my base. I'm going for a full eight weeks.  Group rides are hard, because everybody flexes a bit on the climbs, they all get to the top and say "That was a good tempo" They are fooling themselves they were on the rivit the whole time, I cruise up a minute later and wonder why they are stopped. Do you want to train your body to stop at the top of a climb? I figure I have 12 solid races to show people what I can do. Not that I won't have to work hard in the next months before racing starts, but for now strict power discipline must be maintained. I think Contador said it best.

 "I’ve been doing very dedicated training for weeks and I am starting to feel good, but until now I’ve only done base work. I haven’t been doing climbs or intervals and I’m not going crazy over logging so many hours on the bike. Maybe at the camp I will start to work on intensity, but I don’t want to overdo it, because this will be a long season.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only hate this blog because on tuesday morning I woke up and checked my resting heart rate courtesy the new heart rate strap that someone so generously let me use- and realized my resting heart rate is a bit higher than normal. No bueno. Forced to take the rest week early. Bummer. I will have to say however that the sweet spot was feeling particularly wonderful, and my racing season starts in four weeks. So I can legitimately make the case that I can do "tempo" efforts. Time to rest it up and then get into the red. Yay!- JF

MFK said...

Was that HR before or after your morning "ritual"