Wednesday, February 4, 2009

MFK in 7.1 Surround a BIM success story

I now have the ultimate stationary trainer diversion device. 50" TV linked to a blu-ray player. Just to be safe I went a step beyond and installed 4 speakers in my ceiling for the ultimate in movie soundtrack enjoyment 7.1.  Just because I'm a geek I modeled my living room in Sketchup to get the layout right, and then had it Chick approved. As of today the Ikea sofa and rug are the only thing that remains to be completed.

If you notice I modeled the joist and ductwork to make sure they did not interfere of clash with the speaker install. Taking it a step further I got the exact listening angles off the Dolby website and layed out my speakers according to my listening position.

I found a kick-ass deal online for the speakers monoprice.com, it was a total gamble 4 speakers for $84.00. I was betting they would be crap, but I thought I would try this before I spent a minimum of $84 for one.  I am fully satisfied, the sound every bit as good as the speakers I listened to at the big box stero store. Same thing with HDMI cables, 6 bucks. Compare that to $60 minimum at BestBuy.

Not the best pic, but you can imagine the finished product.  Everything went in no problems, almost too easy.  I didn't even get to drink enough beer and cuss a whole bunch before it was done. Moral of the story Building Information Modeling (BIM) works.

No comments: