Monday, May 11, 2009

Vector Racing


I coined a new phrase this weekend at the Battle of the Bear, Vector Racing.  There was so much lap traffic on the narrow course you were forced to pick a magnitude and direction off course, with the intent of intercepting the course at a future point in time.  I wish I had an aerial video of the Pro men ripping through the Front Range 50 folks on their 4th lap.  It would have looked like a salvo of sidewinder missiles searching for its target, or that scene out of the Matrix when the sentinels swarmed Zion. The red arrows accurately depict my path of travel, figure I cut a half mile out of the race.

On the other front I have delayed my retirement from bike racing.  My performance signaled that I actually am capable of sustain race like speeds, and look good doing it.  I had my best start ever, I was being pulled along in the slipstream of Junior National Champs, and past Olympians.  I was actually close enough to Jeremy Kilbowskie (JHK) to read the tattoo on his neck that read “Don’t pass me MFK”.  I think I recorded my first negative split of my life on the second lap.  I was going fast but with my keen sense of hearing I could still make out the chatter of hot women commenting on my perfect sock height.  One was so enamored she almost forgot to hand me my water bottle (HILL).  Any way 13th less than a minute out of a single digit place.  

No comments: