Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The neoglowdium fountains

My attitude toward neon, hi-vis clad cyclist has forever been changed. I had no idea the effort it takes to acquire one of these articles of clothing. For years I though thousands of people just waited for the REI year end member sale and applied their 20% off coupon towards an important piece of cycling outerwear. I was recently at the Denver Art Museum, I can hear the ladies cooing in unison “he like’s art too, what a catch!” I was drawn to a particular painting, mostly because it was 30’ wide and 20’ tall, and in NEON. It depicted what I believe to be the Neoglowdium pits in South America. This German artist must have followed a wounded Courage Classic rider to these pits when he attempted to re-coat his vest in day glow green. This scene looks orgy like to me, but not of pleasure, but of an optically transparent ritual of sacrifice and pain.

I see the bowls and vases as camelbacks, but not the new camelbacks with the wide mouths, the old ones that would not accept any ice-cubes. I can only imagine the process. Each Vest, wind breaker, etc. is a fully custom unit. The rec-rider first paints themselves with the glowing juices and then is baked. (Much like the artist in his creative process) I can sense the frenzy at the pools, check out Trogdor with the blue jousting sticks. The schmuck on the left must be a Copper Triangle rider,they don't play well with the Courage and Ride the Rockies crowd. He was Trogdored in to submission.

This one shows a couple of kids getting the neon treatment, next thing you know they will be on recumbant bikes, just like dad. All in All I have new respect for the neoglowdium desciples (not really) So next time you see one ask them how Trogdor was.

No comments: