Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hi, may I help you?






My parents are visiting this weekend and they are bringing the worlds best Bar-B-Que. Gate's and Sons from Kansas City. First you must understand there is only one purveyor of Bar-B-Que in my family, Gates. All others are sub par, hack job, attempts at flavor. This even goes so far that my father always said to my sister. "When you get married, Gates will cater it." and he delivered my friends. I think my sisters wedding dress actually has a sauce stain on it. My dad has also been known to travel unimaginable distances for Gates. One time a weekend trip from Indianapolis to Kansas City was performed to satisfy a craving. Other trips of legend are the, "you wanna get lunch? Only four hours later to arrive in KC from Des Moines. I also have the affliction, refusing to speak to my parents after stepping off the plane until Gates is in sight.

Which brings me to the point. Colorado Bar-B-Que sucks. This is from Brothers BBQ, that everyone says is good. I was not impressed.


Wonder bread bun, seriously, King-Soopers potato salad, that's weak. A little cup of no love beans. Some random chopped brisket. It was also like $13.00. The atmosphere of the restaurant was sterile for a BBQ joint. It needs to be gritty, you need to smell smoke, the floors need to be a little grimy from years of spilled sauce and crushed french fries.

Like this

See thee dirty cooler with Beer glasses, the smoke charred tile above the counter, and yes the actual pits in the back. If you dont' have a pit in house, your BBQ is crap! Check out the lady on the left. She was there when I was a kid. Thats history baby.


When you walk in this place you are yelled "Hi, may I help you?" you better know what you want or your gettin what they want to give you.

Check out what a BBQ plate should look like, and it's $8.00.


I can almost taste it, brisket, ribs, ham, and steak fries in the traditional sauce. It's better than mowing my Laun.



4 comments:

Sandblogger said...

Go to M&D's on 28th and Race.

MFK said...

Worth a shot, I better see wood piled up outside.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you live five minutes from piggin' out and you have not been. Yes they have wood piled up outside. Yes it's really good. Yes brothers is worthless. What do you expect from chain bbq?

MFK said...

I've been there. Better than brothers. They have a mobile pit, so it's not a pit.