Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Predator

I'd figure I'd start work by blogging rather than working. Crested Butte pre-ride: CB decided to cut some new single track on the mountain, one week before the race. It has promise, but maybe after it has seen two years of two-wheel travel and the fossil fuel forming compression of 10 feet of snow. I bet it will be a fun trail by that time, but for know it was just riding on a section of the forrest floor that had been scraped with a rake. I felt the single track had no flow. It was developed with a hiking, rather than riding mindset. Furthermore, if you make a cross slope trail you need to dig in to that shizzle. If you don't your trail will just keep sliding down the hill along with all the riders when it gets slippery. In short CB, you need to check Winter Park and Keystone, those kids can cut a trail. At the end they put in like 10 turns in a grass field, it was if landscape architect montra of making bike paths really curvy made it all the way to CB.

Afterwords at registration I wish I could have had a picture of this dudes face when I delivered the ultimate buzzkill. Apparently he worked at the resort and was really looking forward to watching mountain cross shirtless, soaking in the sun and the beer. I think when he said epic for the eighth time I snapped. I saig "bro, its going to be an epic rainstorm all afternoon" I think I saw him crying later.

Back at the ranch when I was supposed to be relaxing I spent two hours trying to get my shoe back from this guy.


I finally got him with the ole bunny trick

I reas somewhere that clouds look exactly like what they are going to do, these were pissed!

That big effer on the right followed me around all race.

The start: It was cool for the Cat 1's with 5 people in their class, but a 50 strong field funneling in to single track after 2 minutes, not bueno. It was comical listening to Dougy Fresh yell No Tape, No Tape as we totally disregarded the trail. Just like a trail map when skiing, in the absence of race tape, the course is just for reference. Things are just different in the PRO field, single track can't support 50 people going as hard as they can. Needless to say it poured rain the whole race,my frame clad in 3% body fat was not happy. The good news was I was a tad concerned about being hunted by the Predator in the woods, but my mud covered body cloaked my heat signature

That's pretty much how I spent my whole race, eluding the Predator.

2 comments:

Sandblogger said...

Did you still have carbon fibers and bearings remaining when you took the mud-skin off the Yeti?

MFK said...

The bike worked surprisingly well, no shifting problems despite the mud. Sealed XTR, is still the best.
My skin is very soft now.