Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Death of the two-6er?

There was a great article in Velonews about the death of the 26" Hardtail Bike. I can relate. About two weeks ago I gave the Hardtail another shot at glory. It was so light and responsive I thought for sure I was back on the HT tip. What a bad idea. It started out sweet on the smooth trails of Winter Park, but when I got to the dried mud ruts of Fraser I started going backwards. IT seemed like every rut caught and held the rear wheel for a second, and then released it in the opposite direction I wanted it to go. From results at the Nationals your were running 29 or full suss to survive. I think my friend Scottytime is right, 29'ers are going to be like shaped skis, eventually everybody's going to be on them. I better get the HT on craigslist before all the 40+ camelback riders figure it out. Here is what I want Carbon HT 29'er with an integrated seat post, and oversized, tapered head tube. Maybe even optimized for a single ring and 10 speed cassette.

1 comment:

Sandblogger said...

My ARC gave me the same message. It feels so fast for a while, then you just start moving backwards. Never again will I own one of those things...