Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Operation Comcast Purge

I've been in this hate state with Comcast for years, what am I paying for? You can get a dozen channels in HD for free, and they actually look better over the air. I'ver had a DVR from them for 5 years and they still charger me rent, plus tax on the puppy. It's really $200 in hardware thats 5 years old. On demand? All the online movie sources are cheaper and the free movies are 80% straight to Video, the other 20% are 10 years or more old. I get 10 home shopping channels and boat load of spanish, fitness, and pretty much crap programming. Even though the History Channel and Discovery are in HD, Comcast doesn't broadcast it that way. I have devised a plan.

Qwest DSL to the Apple Airport Extreme, you can plug any hard drive in to this thing and all the data flies wireless. Stream Content via the HD to an unlocked Apple TV (not really necessary if you don't care about an HDMI out and digital sound) and in to the TV. You can get an HD antenna for $15 so thats local channels. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Boxee, Frecaster, iTunes, and all the Networks pretty much got you covered over the web. ESPN maybe the only odd one out for the NFL , but I thing they have a webcast package you can pay for. You can also mix the Airtport Express and your Mac in for some tunes and any other content. The experiment starts tommorrow, Comcast I think you days are numbered.

No comments: