Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Bald Spot

Last Friday I had a "meeting" that ran late in the day so I decided to use it as an excuse to go skiing. We got up to Berthoud Pass at about 2:30 and tried to get in as many runs as we could. It had been snowing all week and most of the day leaving a goot foot of fresh for the picking. We decided on the Floral Park side of the pass, both for Avalanche conditions and hitchhiking ease. Our first run was ok, a little blown out because it is easy to get to, but we did get a ride in less than 5 minutes. For the second run we were going to make our way to the Bald Spot. It's a pretty sweet, steep powder field with a fish weir of trees and then another steep run-out to the road.

Scottytime goes first exposing all the rocks I wished to avoid. When he signaled at the bottom it was my turn. Sideslip, turn, slideslip turn and then hammerdown as you bust through the trees. Bad Idea. Apparently there are some pissed off boulders at my choice of entry. I nailed one immediately stopping my ski, but my momentum carried me forward in a text book tomahawk rotation. After the first loop I nailed my ass/kidney area on a rock, and then went right in to a double cork. Scotty said I had at least two more rotations in me, except I hit a nice soft Christmass tree that stopped me cold. The pic below points to the rock band. After I pulled my stuff together the exit was some nice fresh deep pow.

I'm here to tell you it freaking hurt, but not nearly as bad as a separated shoulder I got a couple of years ago. I did somehow manage to ski the next day at Vail ( a whole other story) after about 8 Advils. I'm going to spare you the bruising pictures but trust me my as has the following colors, with a little yellow mixed in.

No comments: